Thursday 14 June 2018

9. Rekindle something you have neglected

Today, I have rekindled something I have neglected for a considerable amount of time:
make progress in reading the poetic epic: Paradise Lost.

First, let me explain why I neglected it for some time. The amount of work spent on my studies, projects, involvement in other people's lives and just overall everyday tasks have smothered the energy and commitment out of me to sit just quietly sit down and read a book. I know everyone says that "we youngsters should read more", but in-between all the things going on, I find it hard to find the time and place to get some reading done. BUT, I have succeeded in the task, and here is a brief documentation on my experience:

Now, Paradise Lost, a epic poem consisting of ten books, was written in 1667 by a lad named John Milton, while he was blind. His daughter had written down all the words he had spoken to her for the documentation of the poem. The poem consists of a rich vocabulary, knowledge of history and Biblical texts. The crux of the poem is mainly the subject of the Fall of Man in the Garden of Eden, and the details surrounding that. Even though critics all agree that some parts of Milton's theology does not completely correspond with the Biblical text, he does however regiment an impressive narrative and series of dialogues in the progression of the poem. Its metaphors and similes include interesting historical events or places, even outside of the Bible. Some dialogues include man with God, Satan with Gabriel, Jesus Christ with Father God, and a third-person narrator, recording the events and sequences as they took place.

This was a very interesting book to go back to read, and was very fun to analyse in the footnotes and references. I would truly say that I have rekindled a passion for something that I have rubbed off for too long.



Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment